Malloy only closing the door to a ‘public option’ this year

As supporters of Sustinet prepare to rally at the State Capitol Wednesday, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy is adamant that a state-run insurance program will not happen this year.

“If you’re asking do I think this year we could move into a Massachusetts model, the answer is no,” Malloy said Monday.

But he’s not completely rejecting launching a public option in the coming years.

“In some senses we don’t close any door, but we do take definitive steps,” towards pooling health benefits of state employees, municipalities and some nonprofits this year, he said, referring to a deal that was made last week to move parts of the Sustinet plan forward this year.

Also a point of concern for Malloy with the original proposal is the cost. A report by the legislature’s nonpartisan Office of Fiscal Analysis said the plan could cost hundreds of millions of dollars a year, although SustiNet supporters have disputed the calculations behind it.