Imagine an East Hartford…
... that is not a nightmare for developers and contractors
My name is Jon Petoskey and I am a candidate of the Town Council. I am a husband, father, and community leader. I am Native American, our tribe’s headquarters is in beautiful Petoskey, Michigan. I am a graduate of Albertus Magnus College and Eastern Connecticut State University. I have 30+ years of leadership experience. I considered myself a Reagan Democrat as a life-long independent until the last presidential election when I registered with the Republican Party to vote against the eventual nominee. Unaffiliated voters are the ones I feel closest to.
I am running for Town Council to give back to East Hartford.
I am running for Town Council because,
- I imagine being a part of a Republican led Town Council that lets all developers know “East Hartford is open for business!” Declaring that East Hartford will no longer be a nightmare for developers and contractors. This will allow our tax base to grow.
- Our mill rate must go down. Voters of East Hartford, hear this Republican council candidate, reducing the mill rate is possible!
- We must continue our pursuit of excellence in education; Our investment in our children must remain a top priority, as they truly are our future.
- I believe we can do more to honor and engage our seniors and veterans. They deserve a great senior center – in their lifetime!
- We have young adults, singles and married couples, who can be empowered to make a difference in their world.
- I’m tired of token efforts by the establishment, like posing for a photo just before the last municipal election, announcing the Shoppes at Rentschler Field but then three days after, slipping in the back pages of the paper that the developer was $10 million short. That was a last straw. The 2019 strategy is to stack all the road improvement projects in the four months prior to the election.
East Hartford deserves a town leadership team that works for we, the people, for an entire term; not just when it’s time to get reelected. Your property tax should be a greater concern to town leaders than their pension and perks.
If you will give a Republican majority on the Town Council a chance we will work for you. It’s an honor to be nominated, and if elected, I will do my best to serve with honor and integrity.
Jon Petoskey is a candidate for East Hartford Town Council.
CT Viewpoints will entertain first-person position statements of candidates for elected office that focus on policy ideas and principles, but will not publish third-party endorsements for candidacies or direct appeals for support. It is our policy to offer all candidates for elective office equal opportunity for comment. The views expressed by candidates are intended for voter education and are not endorsements of, or opposition to, those views by CTViewpoints or the Connecticut Mirror.