The Connecticut Mirror is one of the most trusted and reliable sources for accurate, in-depth news about public policy in Connecticut. It has become a leadership journalism brand that frequently shapes the policy and political dialogue in the state. It is an important and extremely efficient part of any attempt to reach an audience of highly-educated, civically-engaged, information-seeking policy-makers, influencers, and leaders.
CT Mirror offers several “underwriting” (i.e., advertising and sponsorship) options:
- Branded Storytelling – Branded Storytelling is a highly effective marketing tool for clients who have a story to tell to build their brand, reinforce a positioning, introduce a complex topic, or simply tell a story about themselves that CT Mirror readers are likely to find interesting. Here’s how it works:
- We publish a client-created story headline and excerpt into the main news well of the CT Mirror home page, above the fold, exactly the way we publish other daily stories. This headline and excerpt link to a story that you create.
- Readers who click on the headline or excerpt will be taken to a “story page” designed specifically for you, with your content, including headline, copy, and visuals that you provide. The story page will be clearly identified as Branded Storytelling and as a “Paid Post” (see exhibit 2).
- Your story will appear in morning and afternoon newsletters and on our social platforms.
- Your story will remain on our site and will be searchable permanently.
- Wherever your story appears it will be clearly marked as “Branded Storytelling” or “Paid Post.”
- The cost is $1,500 per story, with a 20% discount for packages of three or more stories in a three-month period. We will create a landing page specifically for your branded stories if you purchase a package of three or more stories over any period of time.
- Click HERE for additional information.
- Display Advertising – standard advertising sizes on the top of CT Mirror pages, on the right “ad rail,” or in-story within the CT Mirror editorial well. We offer these laptop and tablet sizes: 300 x 250, 300 x 600, 728 x 90, and 728 x 250 and offer these mobile sizes: 300 x 250, 336 x 280, 320 x 100, and 320 x 50. We can offer whatever rotation works best for you.
- Newsletter Advertising – 600 x 140 display ad that appears at the top of CT Mirror’s morning and afternoon newsletters. There is also a less expensive option of placement in the middle of the morning and afternoon newsletter. Daily Newsletter advertising is typically offered by the week. Please call or email to discuss opportunities for sponsoring one or more of our specialized newsletters including CT Politics, in-Justice, or Talking Transportation.
- Business Membership – We offer businesses, trade organizations, and advocacy groups a range of opportunities for raising awareness of their products or mission while providing financial support to CT Mirror to recognize the critical service we provide. Sponsorship opportunities range from our Headline Member advertising package that includes both display advertising and newsletter advertising for $5,000 to our By-line Member package that includes a week of newsletter advertising for $1,000. Please see details HERE.
- Remnant Advertising – discounted rates on advertising for nonprofits when inventory is available ($200 per week).
- Custom sponsorships – any of the above paired with sponsorship of CT Mirror’s our year-long constellation of podcasts and live and virtual events.
Connecticut Mirror news decision-making occurs entirely independently of underwriting, advertising, sponsorship, and donor relationships, as described in the American Press Institute’s Guiding Principles for Funders of Nonprofit Media and by CT Mirror’s Editorial Independence policy.
Underwriting content does not reflect the editorial policy of The Connecticut Mirror or the corporate policy of The Connecticut News Project, Inc.
Underwriting is sold on a non-discriminatory basis.
Please see our 2022 Media Kit for more information. If you have any questions about the media kit, to explore custom sponsored content opportunities, or to place an order, please contact Publisher Bruce Putterman at 860-218-6380 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advertising Acceptability Guidelines
All “underwriting” messages are subject to these guidelines:
- All ads must include a brand name or the name of the organization paying for the ad.
- CT Mirror reserves the right to label an advertisement with the word “advertisement” when, in its opinion, this is necessary to make clear the distinction between editorial material and advertising.
- CT Mirror does not accept advertising on behalf of or in opposition to a candidate or slate of candidates for elective office, whether placed by a candidate, political party, PAC, corporation, individual or other entity. This prohibition also applies to issue-based advertising that is closely identified with a particular candidate or candidates.
- CT Mirror reserves the right to refuse any advertising for any reason at its sole discretion. Reasons for declining advertising include but are not limited to:
- Advertising that is misleading, inaccurate or fraudulent, makes unfair competitive claims, or that fails to comply with its standards of decency.
- Advertising that violates laws dealing with such matters as libel, copyright and trademark, the right to privacy, the sale of securities, and the sale of real estate.
- Advertising that attacks other people or groups of people.
- Advertising that fundraises.
- Advertising that otherwise jeopardizes CT Mirror’s nonprofit and nonpartisan status.
- Maximum served file size is 250 KB. Images cannot be pixelated.
- Web resolution JPEG or PNG ad and associated link are due 48 hours prior to your desired start date.
- If you would like to place an order, we will forward an insertion order for your signature.
- Payment is required in advance for first-time advertisers.
- Ads purchased for the final four weeks of a legislative session are non-refundable.