Work for Us
The Connecticut Mirror (www.CTMirror.org), an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit digital news organization, has an immediate opening for a Data Reporter who will find untold stories in data sets, hold government accountable, and help readers understand complex topics.
The successful applicant will have strong data collection, data analysis, data visualization, reporting, and writing skills. Innovation, collaboration, and a hunger for truth are also critical. Our new Data Reporter will support other reporters and generate his or her own original content.
Supporting Other Reporters: The Data Reporter will collaborate with other reporters to source and analyze data to identify, report, and enhance stories. He / she will take the lead in visualizing data to maximize impact and reader engagement. Ideally, the Data Reporter will be able to create custom interactive and animated data visualization tools in addition to implementing off-the-shelf data visualization packages.
Generating Original Content: The Data Reporter will also identify, report, and write his or her own original data-driven stories and will be responsible for creating and regularly updating data dashboards on the site. Ideally, the Data Reporter will be able to create or provide user-friendly access to otherwise difficult-to-navigate data bases related to public policy (e.g., schools, child care, economic development).
- Minimum of three years of data journalism experience, including reporting and writing data-driven stories;
- Ability to assess data integrity.
- Strong data analysis and data visualization skills to identity and tell compelling stories;
- Ability to create, scrape, and clean data bases to provide readers with access to critical data sets;
- Ability to deploy data tools to AWS or Heroku.
- Ability to collaborate and work well as part of a team.
The Data Reporter will support all reporters and will report to the Executive Editor. The position will be based in our Hartford, CT newsroom.
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance and a 403(b) deferred retirement savings plan.
Please send a resume and three to five samples of your work to Elizabeth Hamilton, executive Editor, at email@example.com.
The Connecticut Mirror does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, board, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and readers.
Manager of Membership and Audience Development
The Connecticut Mirror (www.CTMirror.org), an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit digital news organization, has an immediate opening for a Manager of Membership and Audience Development who will grow CT Mirror membership and readership 160% over the next three years.
The successful applicant will have strong writing, content creation, organization, and customer-service skills. S/he will manage a wide range of responsibilities, including cultivating and servicing members, executing annual fundraising campaigns, creating segmented monthly reader newsletters, supporting events, and building audience through social media. Specific responsibilities include:
- Work with the Publisher to plan membership engagement and audience development strategies and campaigns.
- Execute member / annual fundraising campaigns:
- Conduct audience segmentation and testing.
- Create and place digital marketing / email materials for quarterly member drives.
- Execute segmented annual Year-End campaign (encompassing News Match).
- Execute segmented annual “end of legislative session” campaign.
- Retain small donor members.
- Coordinate all member / small donor acknowledgements / recognition.
- Create, execute, and fulfill member benefits:
- Develop and execute exclusive member perks and experiences with CT Mirror’s editorial team
- Manage and market online and in-person member events:
- Small in-person (e.g., News and Brews – one a month around the state).
- Webinars – pre-legislative session, post-legislative session, election preview, election recap.
- Member service:
- Retain and service small donor members (e.g., as credit cards expire, membership lapses).
- Solicit donors for gift-matching programs.
- Follow up on all routine member service requests.
- Follow up on reader questions or concerns.
- Newsletters (with support from News Revenue Hub consultants and in collaboration with CT Mirror editorial staff):
- Work with editorial team to develop custom newsletter products and content:
- Monthly beat / reader interest newsletters
- Monthly accountability or “Peek in the Kitchen” updates
- Monthly “Best Of” newsletters
- Distribute emails and newsletters through MailChimp email management tool.
- Work with editorial team to develop custom newsletter products and content:
- Deploy cutting edge social media strategies and tactics to attract and engage prospective and current readers:
- Create and post content that is rooted in CT Mirror journalism and stories.
- Create and post original content that strengthens trust in CT Mirror as a leader in journalism, public policy, and democracy.
- Create and post original content that builds relationships with key Connecticut influencers.
- Track performance of social media efforts.
- Traffic advertising.
- Manage technology related to membership drives and newsletter distribution.
- Conduct periodic data cleansing (Mail Chimp).
- Support annual fundraising event.
- Periodic analysis of membership and audience development activity.
- Oversee Administrative Associate’s work related to maintaining donor / member records within data base, coordinating member benefits, small event execution, and sourcing and distributing swag.
- Track and communicate key performance indicators (KPIs) related to CT Mirror’s membership and audience to improve and keep board and staff updated on performance.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of membership and audience development strategies, initiatives, and special events.
- Potential career development trajectory: promotion to Director, followed by either a) a community outreach role as events business grows over time, or b) a more dedicated focus on either membership or audience.
- Minimum of three years related experience (can include directly related college / internship experience).
- Strong writing and content creation skills.
- Service-oriented approach to working patiently with members.
- Comfortable working with CRM systems.
- Ability to work autonomously and
- Ability to problem solve and innovate.
- Self-motivated, passionate about policy-focused journalism, and hungry to help CT Mirror reach new heights.
- Bachelor’s degree.
The Manager of Membership and Audience Development will report to the Publisher. The position will be based in Hartford, CT.
The salary range will be $45,000 to $60,000, based on experience. The position is eligible for an incentive-based bonus and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance and a 403(b) deferred retirement savings plan.
Please send a resume, three samples of your writing, and links to three social media campaigns you have created to Publisher Bruce Putterman at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
The Connecticut Mirror does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, board, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and readers.