The University of Connecticut announced Tuesday it has canceled the Oct. 20 gubernatorial forum planned in cooperation with the Connecticut Daily Newspapers Association because Republican candidate Tom Foley declined to attend the event.
Democrat Dan Malloy and Independent Party candidate Thomas Marsh had agreed to participate, but UConn spokesman Michael Kirk said organizers only planned to hold the event if all three candidates were involved.
Foley campaign spokeswoman Liz Osborn said the UConn event conflicted with other events on the campaign schedule, but added that Foley has participated in or committed to 15 debates or other candidate forums.
The debate had been scheduled for 7 p.m., Oct. 20, in the Student Union Theater on the university’s main campus in Storrs. No alternative date will be scheduled, Kirk said.
Sign up for CT Mirror's free daily news summary.
Free to Read. Not Free to Produce.
The Connecticut Mirror is a nonprofit newsroom. 90% of our revenue comes from people like you. If you value our reporting please consider making a donation. You'll enjoy reading CT Mirror even more knowing you helped make it happen.YES, I'LL DONATE TODAY