The Legislative Office Building in Hartford was evacuated for more than an hour at midday Tuesday after a power strip in a legislator’s office overheated and caught fire, State Capitol police said.
Chief Walter Lee quickly extinguished the fire on the second floor, but employees were kept out of the five-story building while the electrical system was checked for damage, police said.
The State Capitol, which is connected to the LOB by an underground concourse, was not affected. The legislature was not in session.
Sign up for CT Mirror's free daily news summary.
Free to Read. Not Free to Produce.
The Connecticut Mirror is a nonprofit newsroom. 90% of our revenue comes from people like you. If you value our reporting please consider making a donation. You'll enjoy reading CT Mirror even more knowing you helped make it happen.YES, I'LL DONATE TODAY