A resident of an apartment where a family at risk of eviction lives looks out the window as protesters and media stand outside in February, 2021. Yehyun Kim / ctmirror.org

Original reporting by Ginny Monk. Compiled by Gabby DeBenedictis.

Editor’s Note: This article is part of CT Mirror’s Spanish-language news coverage developed in partnership with Identidad Latina Multimedia.

Lea este artículo en español.

Right to counsel

Connecticut has a program that guarantees free legal representation for certain tenants going through eviction. To qualify, you have to live in certain ZIP codes and earn less than 80% of the area median income. Veterans also qualify. More information is available online or by calling 1-800-559-1565.

Legal aid

Various legal aid groups offer assistance to people who are being evicted. They include: Greater Hartford Legal AidNew Haven Legal Assistance Association, and Connecticut Legal Services. If you feel you’ve experienced housing discrimination, you can call the Connecticut Fair Housing Center.

CT Law Help

CT Law Help has information on mediations, what to expect in court, explanations of court documentation and more.

Rent bank

The state of Connecticut is launching a rent bank program that will aim to prevent evictions when an eviction has already been filed in court. Typically, people will be referred to the program by a court mediator.


If you are at risk of losing your home, you can get connected to services and shelters through the United Way 211 number. You can call 211 or find more information online.

CT Mirror Evictions Coverage:

CT Mirror Explains

Finding answers to big questions in Connecticut. CT Mirror Explains is an ongoing effort to distill our wide-ranging reporting on Connecticut topics into a "what you need to know" format.