For the second time in two weeks, the public-financing application of Republican Tom Foley’s campaign for governor was judged Wednesday to be incomplete, delaying by at least one week the awarding of a $1.35 million grant for his GOP primary campaign.
The campaign has provided further documentation to the State Elections Enforcement Commission on $3,700 in questioned qualifying contributions, clearing the way for approval of his grant next week, said his spokesman, Chris Cooper.
Meanwhile, his rival for the GOP nomination, John P. McKinney, jointly filed an application Wednesday with his running mate, David M. Walker, for a grant. The earliest McKinney and Walker can expect their money is July 8.
Last week, the commission postponed a vote on Foley’s application. Its examination found that Foley, one of three Republicans running for governor, had not yet met the qualifying threshold of raising $250,000 in contributions of no more than $100 each.
Foley’s committee had raised $264,148 in contributions, but the commission last week said its staff had validated only $220,977.
“We believe we’ve now provided the documentation and our application is complete,” Cooper said.
The documentation was provided earlier Wednesday, too late for the commission to complete its examination before its 4 p.m. meeting. Foley’s application will be considered again next week.
Hearst Connecticut Media reported that Foley has sent an email soliciting further funds. Cooper had no information Wednesday as to what the solicitation produced or whether additional funds were necessary to qualify.
Democrats pounced on Foley’s failure to qualify in two tries.
“Qualifying for public financing is an exercise in financial management for $250,000. With multiple significant missteps during this process, Tom Foley has shown that he is incapable of managing his own campaign finances,” said Devon Puglia, spokesman for the Connecticut Democratic Party.
Demands for further documentation by the commission are not unusual. The commission also postponed action Wednesday on an application by Attorney General George Jepsen, a Democrat, and six candidates for the General Assembly, including three Democrats.
Legislative candidates approved for grants Wednesday:
- Carol Anest of Newington, a Democrat running in the 27th House District.
- Rep. Whit Betts, R-Bristol.
- Paul Cianci of Branford, a Republican running in the 102nd House District.
- Kevin Coyner of Fairfield, a Democrat running in the 132nd House District.
- Rep. Themis Klarides, R-Derby.
- Brian Ohler of North Canaan, a Republican running in the 64th House District.
- Rep. Linda Orange, D-Colchester.
- Caroline Simmons of Stamford, a Democrat running in the 144th House District.
- Douglas Sutherland of Trumbull, a Democrat running in the 123rd House District.
- Sen. Andres Ayala, D-Bridgeport.
- Tony Hwang of Fairfield, a Republican running in the 28th Senate District.