In a split decision that probably brings to a close a 12-year legal saga, the Connecticut Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that the state is providing students in the state’s most impoverished school districts with the minimally adequate education the constitution mandates.
The state Supreme Court will hear an expedited appeal of a lower court’s conclusion that the way the state distributes education aid and oversees local schools is unconstitutional.
A major Wall Street credit rating agency weighed in on Connecticut’s school funding crisis this week, saying an overhaul would improve the credit standing of the state’s poorest cities.
NEW HAVEN — Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said Tuesday he agreed with the “core” of Superior Court Judge Thomas Moukawsher’s finding last week that Connecticut’s distribution of education aid was so irrational as to be unconstitutional, but the ruling raises so many legal and practical complexities that he will defer a decision on an appeal to Attorney General George Jepsen.
“This is a case I feel so privileged to be involved with,” said crusading New Haven attorney David Rosen. “Let’s hope that this case has a very big impact and helps lots of children for years to come.”
Connecticut Mirror budget reporter Keith M. Phaneuf and education reporter Jacqueline Rabe Thomas discuss the new $40.3 billion, two-year state budget legislators sent to Gov. Dannel P. Malloy, and its impact on every level of education from preschool to colleges and universities.