To save money, the state proposes to implement an assets test for the popular Medicare Savings Program.
Trying to avoid a repeat of last year when conservative Democrats defected to support a Republican state budget, Democratic legislative leaders unveiled several proposals Monday aimed at striking a bipartisan compromise. The plan restores funds for municipal aid and for a medication assistance program for seniors and the disabled.
While Democrats and Republicans both want to blunt the looming roll-back of a program that helps disabled and low-income elderly in Connecticut pay for medical care, their plans will still cut off tens of thousands who’ve come to rely on it.
WASHINGTON — Connecticut will not impose a work requirement on Connecticut Medicaid recipients, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said, even as the Trump administration moved Thursday to allow states to do so. “The fact remains that the majority of individuals on Medicaid are working people, or those that cannot work, such as seniors and people with disabilities,” Malloy said.
The legislative cooperation that produced last October’s bipartisan state budget deal could face its toughest test starting next week as legislative leaders begin trying to close a deficit and find more funds for health care programs and municipal aid.
The General Assembly voted overwhelmingly Monday to reverse health care program cuts affecting as many as 113,000 seniors and the disabled. Several legislators said they had been inundated in recent weeks with phone calls and emails from worried elderly constituents and advocates for the disabled.
Gov. Dannel P. Malloy pledged Friday to veto the budget adjustment bill legislators are expected to adopt Monday, saying their plan to reverse cuts to the Medicare Savings Program exacerbates deficits already plaguing state finances.
To find some of the money to reverse cuts to a popular social services program, the legislature is expected Monday to raid $17.8 million owed to next fiscal year’s state budget — which already is at risk of a significant deficit.
Hoping to focus legislators on closing a $224 million state budget deficit, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy suspended legislatively mandated cutbacks to a popular social services program for seniors and the disabled until July 1.
Gov. Dannel P. Malloy is welcoming legislators back to the State Capitol with a reprise of his message that it is folly to return in special session to restore funding for a popular Medicare Savings Program without addressing the larger issue of how to close a projected deficit of $222.5 million.
State legislative leaders Tuesday again delayed their plans to reverse cuts to the Medicare Savings Program in December, but pledged to restore all funds in early January.
With partisan feuding providing the final push Thursday, the state legislature now will come into session between between Christmas and New Year’s Day to reverse an unpopular cut to a social services program for poor seniors and the disabled.
Legislative leaders struggled Tuesday to find some way to call themselves into special session just before Christmas to restore funds for a popular social services program — but not to address the majority of a $203 million state budget deficit identified last month.
Updated at 3:45 p.m. Wednesday
Lowered eligibility limits for the Medicare Savings Program, which uses Medicaid money to help low-income residents pay medical costs Medicare doesn’t cover, were supposed to go into effect on Jan. 1, but the Department of Social Services said Wednesday it will slow down implementation of the changes in response to concerns raised by the enrollees, advocates and legislators.
The two-year, bipartisan state budget signed by Gov. Dannel P. Malloy this week will cut Medicaid help for at least 68,000 Connecticut seniors and disabled individuals, a change decried by doctors and health care advocates in the state.